Sunday, July 25, 2004

While it was a short visit with Johnny today, it was another great one. We went to see "I,Robot". It was better than I thought it was going to be. While it was nothing like the original, they did hold on to some of Asimov's themes. It was a pretty good detective movie overall. I was impressed with Johnny's opinions. His tastes are refining more and more. We have a long ride to Tampa next weekend, I'll use the time to see how reading the book before hand changed his view of the finished film.

Was delayed by almost an hour on the way to see him today. Just as I was approaching his exit off the turnpike, traffic was stopped by a major traffic accident. A van had rolled and slammed into the jersey barrier. And I do mean traffic "stopped". When I saw the TraumaHawk helicopter landing I knew it was going to be a while. I was about a mile away from the scene of the accident and all traffic came to a complete standstill to where I turned the engine off and got out to look around. Another example of poor planning down here. I've been near all kinds of terrible highway accidents and have never seen a highway completly shut down until moving here. And this happens all the time. Apparently the graduates of the Remedial Highway Planning Classes who were hired by the Florida Department of Transportation never imagined there would be accidents on their roadways and that even while they were clearing said accidents the other people on the highway might just possibly want to get by and continue on their way.

I talked with Harry tonight to get find out how everything went this weekend. He was very touched by my having sent flowers. They are some of the very few who still call me "John". I had suddenly decided in my junior year in High School that everyone was going to call me "Jack" like my family did; it stuck with most people. All these years later I was still "John". I gave up trying and it beagan to take on a special aspect to it where the Barrows were the only ones who still did. They seemed to have forgotten that when they saw they card on the arrangement; "With Jove, John". It wasn't until they saw the silk banner simply saying "Ma" that they realized. Just my little way of actually being there when I couldn't.

November isn't that far away.

No comments: