Friday, July 16, 2004

A recap of the ride home.

We got up and out early Monday morning. As we made our way further south the idea of driving straight through began to circulate. We had all ended up spending up a little more then planned at the con and it would be nicer on our wallets to skip spending the extra on a few hours sleep. By the time we hit our lunch stop at a Sonic in Roanoke Rapids, NC we decided to go for the gold.

We got some really good seats at restaurants along they way as no one really wanted to sit next to the Funky Bunch. 16 hours with no air conditioning and only so much Febreeze made for a fun ride. Actually, it was rather fun. This was the first year we made it there and back again with no conflict of any kind. We all went where we wanted, got together when convenient, had fun,enjoyed each others company and rolled with the punches whenever something tried to make it a difficult weekend. We all agreed this was our best trip ever.

We seem to have gotten better that these road trips. Talk has gone around about alternatives to driving but unless someone wins lotto we'll probably pile right back into The Bull once again. Even with the mechanical problems on this trip, I feel she has one more ride left in her. Although, by the time we got to Florida the van was close to being renamed "Dory" after the Ellen DeGeneris character in "Finding Nemo". The power steering was moaning deep and slowly like Dory's whale-speak. Without these little problems we wouldn't have such good stories to tell.

Here is a web page with my photos from the trip.


The worst part of any weekend with Johnny is bringing him back. We got home, showered and jumped into bed for a well deserved sleep. The Ex wasn't feeling well so I ended up driving again to bring him there. Yea! Another three hours in the van!

When we got there I was surrounded by his little brother and sister. Jeffrey has always been happy to see me. He will run up and put a strangle hold hug on me. Carrie has gotten better. For the longest time she had either run from the room or hid under furniture. Part of it had to do with something her father told her about me. I was upset about it for a while until heard she did the same thing with almost anybody. Now she can't stop talking when I walk in the room. Because I finally can, I got down on the floor to play with Jeffrey and suddenly I was trying to play with both kids at the same time. Seems a little strange to be the center of attention for my ex's children from another husband. Strange, but I still love it.

Speaking of children from another husband. I am determined to make stronger efforts to reach out to and include Jimmy a little more. I've always felt bad about the distance which grew between us after the divorce. He and I have talked a little and he has come for a weekend or two with John. I just feel there is more I should be able to do. John has said he has asked about comeing for a visit again sometime and I would welcome that in a moment. Something to shoot for.

Don't know if it's just fatigue but I haven't had the same spark of energy at work since being back. I used to do overtime at the drop of a hat however,every day since getting back I bolt for the door at 5PM. I'm sure one paycheck with less overtime than usual will cure that!




No comments: