Friday, July 09, 2004

Another great day, even with dealing with a broken down van. Got AAA to tow it away bright and early. Rented another car so we could get downtown and keep my appointment with Jim Langevin.

Timed perfectly with Jim's office to meet him as he got off the floor of the US Congress. He was tickled by my gift of a JFK bust for his office. When I was there three years ago I noticed that he didn't have one. As I told him, "You're a democrat, from New England, you've been to Hyannisport AND you know Kennedys....and you DON'T have one of these in your office!"

We had about 30 minutes with him for the two of us to play catch up and to meet my Florida friends. He was very interested in Kenny and Jim being in law enforcement. Just like with most of my really good friends, it was just as if yesterday was the last time we saw each other and not three years. Just before we left I had some personal time with him. He is very happy to see me post surgery. We got into some other personal stuff and I made sure his chief of staff kept my home number as he is looking to buy some Florida property not too far from me. He's another friend I'm determined to keep despite the mileage.

After lunch in the Congressional food court and getting lost in the tunnels underneath the House Office Buildings we headed to the World War II Memorial. What a beautiful place. I want to meet some of the idiots who opposed the design and slap them around. It is on such a grand scale, well deserving of those it commemorates. We took loads of pictures which I'll post after we get back home.

Speaking of getting home, the garage was able to bypass the A/C and get the belts re-connected and it's only coasting $86!!!! Dodged a major bullet there thanks to Jim and Kenny. It's going to be a warm ride home but at least we'll get there!

John is having a fun time and we are really starting to connect more on a more adult level as he approached puberty. It's amazing how his sense of humor is developing. The best moment was when he described doing something to his brother Jim almost verbatim of something I had done to a co-worker. Genetics is a wonderful thing!

The best part of this trip is re-connecting with good friends from back home. There have been a few here at the convention which have been surprises and that only makes it better. We are to a count of 5 the number of people who have said to him, "I remember you when you were thiiiiiiis little!" He just loves that!

One telling moment of how much homesickness I suffer during this trip was when Jim Langevin asked me where I preferred living and if I'd ever move back to Rhode Island. There was a very long pause. Everyone was waiting to see how diplomaticaly I answered that. I think they all know my real answer. I simply pointed to Johnny and said, "Here's the reason I'm there in the first place!" Rhode Island will always be home I just feel it more when I'm around settings like this. I have just as great a circle of friends in Florida as I did back home, so that's not the problem. Rhode Island will always be home.

Enough of that, there's more fun to be had this weekend. More reports when I can squeeze in time on the lobby PC; it's very popular. Gee, who wouldda guessed. Free internet and a hotel full of Trek geeks!!!!

No comments: