Sunday, July 18, 2004

Something of a quiet weekend around here. Still seem to be going through a post-Shore Leave slump. My laundry from the trip still hasn't moved closer to the laundry room and I have to almost kick myself to get motivated. I'm sure if I don't get that wash done soon it'll move by itself!

I did get motivated enough to meet up with my good pal Dave Ryan and his wife as they drove through the area. They have recently moved to the Tampa area. It's good to have someone from back home in the same state. Now that the van is back on the road I hope to be able to see more of them.

I'm part of a team which is running for the leadership of Starfleet International. In the recent nomination phase of the election our team garnered 51 votes while our competition got 46.Should be a very close election. I am the candidate for the Chief of Operations position. This job oversees chapter reporting, corresponding chapters and chapters who are understrength. It's basically the job I'm doing in my regional position on the International level. Mt friend, Tom "Little Guy" Restivo had originally been up for the job but had to back out and he recommended me to Mandi Livingston, the person who is the lead candidate running for the president, or Commander Starfleet, position. I am really excited about this. I have been a member of SFI on and off since 1986. The best part about SFI is the idea that you belong to a club which reaches outside of your own local area. Even when the Boston Star Trek Association was in existance, even though we had almost 200 members from outside New England, it was still a local group. As a member of SFI you are in the same group as a member on the opposite coast or even another side of the planet. I guess the reason why I'm in this race has to do with my feelings about public service which got me into my inlovment in politics back home and the importance of volunteer work; returning something to your community. I was also very flattered by being asked. The election should make for an interesting summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Team! :-)

(guess who?)