Monday, July 05, 2004

Had another great day with Johnny. Slept late but still made the first matinee of "The Terminal". Was very impressed with Hanks' job; was completely believable as a Russian and brought his usual depth to his performance. While it was better than "Catch Me if You Can" it wasn't a great Spielberg film. The best part of the film was the set. If I hadn't known going in that it was a studio set I would have thought they had closed down JFK airport to film.

Mostly, I was still impressed by my son choosing this film. His tastes are growing and I love to see that. Right before he went to bed I started introducing him to the Marx Brothers. We started with "Monkey Business". I would rather have gone with "Duck Soup" but not having that on tape or DVD I had to make do. He laughed in all the right spots and enjoyed some of the older puns. I'm sure I'll get him to sit through more of them. Another memory built. It was my father who showed me the Marx Brothers. I remember sitting with him and laughing our way through each and every one of these classics. Maybe some day he'll remember the same moments with me in the same way.

We got into a discussion about some family members and it came very close to divorce history. I almost bit a hole through my tongue as I kept from going any deeper into the subject than he was either willing to or was even interested in going. He seems very well adjusted and I know that when he's ready to ask about how we got to where we are, he will and there's no need to push it. OK, that works until he's 25. If he hasn't brought it up by then....he's had enough time to mull it over and I'll need to get it off my chest!

Tomorrow it's back to work. Luckily,it's only two days till VACATION!

No comments: