Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Spiderman 2 is a very good movie.

But.....

Before I go further I want to consult with someone who knows Spidey history better than I. Spidey has long been a favorite. One of the reasons is he was a kid just like me. He was a bumbling, geeky teenager who never got the girl. Bruce Wayne was cool, but he was rich. Superman was.....well, Superman! Peter Parker was someone with whom I could identify. He was insecure and unsure of himself. When he put on the red` black and blue he became cocky, strong and a super hero. At the same time, though,he continued to struggle with who he was inside.

They have made what I felt was a major departure in the Spiderman mythos. I didn't mind, in the first film, that Gwen Stacey was supposed to be the love of his life or that Pete built a devise to swing webs instead of them being biological.

I am a Spidey fan, but I will admit to not being able to carry 40 years of history in my head like some are able to. Probably the same reason I never got into baseball; too many facts and figures to carry around.

I also don't want to give away too much to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Go see it. It is a good movie. Sam Raimi has progressed as a director and I thought he was pretty darned good anyway. Every character gets their moment to shine and the major characters are fleshed out even more. Anthony Molina IS Doc Ock. He was my favorite villain tied with Dr. Doom. They also do something with him which bothered me.

I'll go over the movie again after Johnny and I see it next week. It will give you time to see it and I won't feel guilty about spoilers.

Oh, and yes......I WANT TO MARRY KIRSTEN DUNST.

No comments: