Tuesday, June 29, 2004

To kill time on breaks I occasionally browse through the Goodwill store which is in the same plaza as my office. I keep waiting for a cheap enough recliner to show up. As I went through the aliases I spotted something which made me stop and think.

Sitting amongst the faded dishes and old coffee cups was a little :World's Best Mom" statue. A little doe-eyed kid holding it's hands wide in a hug. It made me wonder where it had been before landing along side discarded housewares.

Was it given by a child who really loved their mother or was it a last minute given by someone who grabbed it in a cheesy gift shop or convenience store just to keep their mother quiet? Could it have been from a little child choosing a gift for the first time or a gag gift from a grown adult? Was the parent still alive and just making room in her belongings or was it part of a "going through belongings" process after a death? Did anyone remember under what circumstances the statue had been given? Any recollection of the reaction on either side? Who slimed more when it was revealed? Was it a hard decision to discard it? Did it still hold any sentimental value or was it just a nick nack which was now only worth the $.50 price tag Goodwill had placed on it?

The next thing I wondered was what would happen to all my things after I die? I am a mad collector of so much. Will it mean anything to my son or will it end up on some shelf in a Goodwill for pennies on the dollar?

There has been a little bit of a tradition in my family where we are allowed to take one trinket which belonged to a deceased family member as a way of remembering that person. Just looking around my place I can see things which belonged to my father, mother and a cousin. What will my family members take of mine to remember me?

Well, enough deep thoughts......SPIDERMAN 2 TOMORROW!!!!!!!

No comments: