Saturday, June 12, 2004

My parents brought me up to be polite. Sometimes, I have felt, too polite. I have always wanted to be one of those people who can get away with saying things right to someone's face and getting away with it. Like the scene in "Good Morning, Viet Nam", when Robin William tells the Sergeant Major that he is "the one man in the single greatest need of a blow job". I cringe away from that fearful of the ramifications it could have on me personally and otherwise.

The reason I say this is that there was a person who has left the job for greener pastures. When I heard the news the first thought that went through my head was saying goodbye to this person by saying, "I hope that you get a job which will allow you to take that stick out of your ass." I have to be content with it being a little fantasy in my mind because I could never, in a million years, being myself to say that to someone. OK, I can be a sarcastic and funny bastard but never in a malicious way. There are times, however, when times call out for an attitude adjustment.

And still I do not wish this person ill. I hope success is on the road ahead. I'm just glad that road is leading away.

No comments: