Saturday, June 26, 2004

Well, I'm a greedy bastard. They offered loads of overtime and VISA gift cards for each day we worked that overtime to help out one of our other departments at work. I opted for the OT and extras over having Johnny for the weekend. I labored over that decision since Wednesday. Those gift cards can buy the new tired for the van. I even called and asked my sister's advice on this one. John and I talked it over and since we're going to be together in just another week anyway we decided to go for the money. It was a tough decision deciding between spending the time with him versus having more money to make that time together better. For the longest time there's been a running gag with some of my older friends of "What happened to the good old days when our biggest worry was who didn't chip in on the pizza!".

It turned into a good weekend anyway. My good pal, Bruce Dolan, was in town to surprise his mother for her birthday. He ended up having a surprise for me as well. I had asked him to pick up some new Sonic cups for me. He has one right down the road while the nearest one to me is 2 hours away. He shows up with over 20 cups of different sizes and 4 advertising posters like they have on the sides of the building. He had explained to the manager he had a collector friend and was gladly given this supply. He even took Bruce's phone number for when they have more! Bruce is now what is called "an enabler". There is a perfect spot in the kitchen where I can display one poster at a time; changing the decor from time to time. How Martha Stewart! OK, so it's Martha with a twist!

I had to work past the time the surprise party started so I didn't get to see the initial expression of his mother's face but my late arrival was greeted as yet another unannounced plus to the day. I have quickly been accepted as another "son" in her family. We swam in the pool and ate barbecued ham. Deeee-lish!

From there I went to visit a friend's wife who had given birth earlier this morning. This is the 2nd girl for Jason and Dana Berry. Jason had just gone out to dinner with his mother and father when I arrived. I had bought a little plush Shrek and Donkey for baby Sarah. Dana decided to just leave them in the bassinet and see if Jason could guess who had visited. It only took a few seconds for him to figure it out! How could he have known?

I've been trying to screw up the nerve to call up my old boss. When he first left the company I had immediately written off a letter to him. Just as I was ready to send it I decided to call him. Then my phone got shut off. The letter gathered dust all the time the phone was off. I really feel the need to make the connection. I guess it's all part of my "carpe diem" reaction to Andy's death. I finally talked to Mike LaPlante today. We still can talk easily as if no time had passed, luckily. We are trying to make plans to visit during my trip up to Harry's in November. That would be grand. Still haven't reached Jay, damnit.

Tomorrow I see "Farenheit 9/11" tomorrow, so expect a review and possible political rantings. You have been warned.

No comments: