Saturday, November 29, 2003

What great weekend this has been.

Thanksgiving started things off wonderfully with an early dinner at the invitation of my supervisor, Molly. It was great to spend time with her outside of work and to meet more of her family. I didn't get to compare notes with her on the way home as her son came with us for the ride; that should be interesting at work Monday.

That evening went to Cheryl's for a "Leftover Thanksgiving Party". It ended up being the two of us. At times I wonder about this group here. I often compare them too much to the crowd back home and am disappointed. I continually try to whip them into excitement over things like this but get the most lukewarm of responses. It seemed as if, with the McAuliffe, it was not even a second thought that you'd be spending time with each other. Work schedules, planning and other considerations were never even though of; it was second nature to get together with each other. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a different group of people in a different setting. Not to say I love these people any less; my life in Florida would not have been as good as it has been without them. Ii just have to remember that, in many ways, this will never be home and I cannot remake it into that.

Johnny and Kathleen showed up after a slight detour through Jupiter. I don't know who I was happier to see. My son is getting so much bigger and handsomer. He seemed very impressed with my weight loss. Kathy and I had a chance to talk about it. She is very happy and relieved. She is still certain I was going though a depression during my weight gain no matter how much I try to convince her otherwise. I always had a good self image of myself, no matter how fat I was. For crying out loud, I even had a pretty young girl interested in me before the surgery. How is that depressing?! I think I may have passed.

The one test which was driving me nuts was keeping from reaching out to her during the movie. I felt so inhibited by the boys being there; possibly a good thing. There was a time when we were elbow to elbow and I wanted to take her hand. It was electric. I did get a hug at the end of the "date" and I made a point to grasp her hand in a goodbye as I got out of the car. It may be a while before we get together again as we both have different plans for the weekend; but it so seems like the next time will be the perfect time to start talking about feelings. I've already been practicing what I want to say in my head. It makes perfect sense to me when I hear it. I can only hope she agrees when it makes it over my tongue.

No comments: