Saturday, November 22, 2003

I cannot let today go by without commenting about November 22nd.

The first time I read anything about the assassination of President Kennedy was in the 6th grade. I had found a book called "Four Days" in the school library. I must have borrowed that book a dozen times over. As I got older I found the books of Mark Lane, Robert Goldberg and Josiah Thompson. I have been to Dealey Plaza twice and even own the same model rifle allegedly used by Lee Oswald. When I finish this I am going to drop my DVD copy of the Zapruder film in the player. I might be what some news reports of the past few days call an "assassination devotee".

I guess "devotee" is a perfect word for it. I am devoted to the truth that will someday come from the assassination. I might not see it, but hopefully my son or grandchildren will. It took more than 100 years for all of the differing theories surrounding the Lincoln assassination to be proved or disproved.

I do not believe Lee Oswald acted alone. Whether he was part of a conspiracy or was, as he said, "a patsy" I can't say with certainty. What I can say with certainty is that some part of the government had a strong hand in making sure the right story was sold to the American public and media.

My mother could never understand my fascination with the assassination. "Let the man rest in peace," she would say, "What good does it do to keep bringing this up?" She had passed away before I was old enough, with enough life experience, to express it enough to make sense.

If someone like the President of the United States could be taken out as he was, then what chance has any one of us have? If parts of the government can work in the shadows and either orchestrate or protect such a horrendous crime for purely greedy purposes then what value does the country have left? Jack Kennedy deserved better. This country deserved better. Myself, my son and his grandchildren deserve better. An un-elected government came to life that afternoon and our country has never been the same. If it was the single random act of a lone nut it is sad enough. If it was the planned and calculated act of any part of our government it is sad beyond words and makes the actions of those the likes of Nixon, Marcos and others pale in comparison.

No comments: