Sunday, November 16, 2003

I just got back from a weekend at a Star Trek convention in Orlando. What a great weekend I had. Myself and 5 of my friends went together. I also was able to reunite with my friend, Dave Ryan, and his wife who have just moved to Tampa. This is the first time in a number of years we have seen each other and now, with us being within the same state borders, we can look forward to seeing much more of each other.

I have been going to these conventions since 1975. I can still remember the anticipation and excitement I felt at my first con. After the dozens and dozens I've attended I still have as much fun as I did "back in the day". It is an opportunity to connect with old friends and make some new ones. I'm hoping I made a new friend this time as I took the opportunity to buy one of the actors, John Billingsly, and his wife a drink in the bar and at last count he thanks me 5 times for the drink. We also took pictures together, along with my pal, Cheryl. Prior to leaving I gave Mrs. Billingsly my name, address and phone. Who knows what will happen the next time we meet; I plan on offering dinner. I missed out on having a cast friend from the past two Trek shows and it's about time I got on the ball!

One of my strongest memories of my first con is who it was that brought me there; my mother. She could never understand my interest in science fiction and Star Trek. Constantly shaking her head as I joined clubs, went to conventions and spent untold dollars of lots of items that to her were piles and piles of crap. However, it was her who drove me to Boston for my first con and it was her who floored me by once buying me a very expensive Farberwear Star Trek dinner plate. It's amazing the small, yet poignant ways a parent can express love. I try to do that constantly with my own son. Luckily, we share some of the same interests. We are constantly talking about movies, cartoon shows, music and other topics that would bore other parents to tears. But, just like I smile and think of my mother when I pay a ridiculous amount of money for a chunck of fiberglass shaped like a TV prop; I hope sometime, when he's older, Johnny will think of me and smile when he looks at a Kid Rock CD we listened to together or SpongeBob Squarepants video we laughed at together.

Thanks, Mom.

No comments: