Thursday, November 13, 2003

What a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

We had our date and it went perfectly! And most of it is a blur to me right now. That whooshing sound kept coming back.

I called our order in early so it was ready and waiting for us when we arrived. Perfectly executed. We sat and talked; getting to know a little about each other. There were only a few awkward moments when I stirred my soup, not know what to say next. We talked about our sons, work and a little bit of our histories.

I found out that she is 21 years old. She was born in 1982! If I knew that exact date, I could tell you where I was and what I was doing when she was born! I'm not bothered by the age difference but I know I'll get razzed by any number of friends and family. As a matter of fact I had passed this blog address onto my best friend Harry and he immediately started in on me. He called me at work, from North Carolina, to see if I had gone on the date yet. What a pal!

One thing about the lunch that I didn't know until I got back to work was that two of my friends, both major ball busters in their own rights, were two tables away from us the entire time. They were very well restrained, regardless of the temptation, and did not come over and harass us. One of them did tell me later that there is an elderly man who serenades them ever time they go there and they had planned on sending him to our table if he showed up. Phew! Dodged that bullet.

The reason I didn't see them was that I had tunnel vision the entire time. If I wasn't eating lunch I probably wouldn't have been able to tell you that I was even in a restaurant. All I could see was her. Damn, but she's beautiful.

She said she had a great time and agreed to a second date. Hopefully something with a little more time involved. I consulted three women and came up with a card and small decorative candle to give to her as a thank you gift. Something sweet, but non-committal. I am so going to take this slow. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the possibilities.

Johnny has told me about his attempts to get a girlfriend. We were on the telephone once and he said to me, "Wednesday, I might have a girlfriend". I am looking forward to calling him and using those same words to him!

No comments: