Tuesday, November 04, 2003

I just watched the latest episode of "* Simple Rules" and I cried like a baby. I was not what could be called a John Ritter fan, although I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It was the amazing way they told the story. It was a scene between the remaining family when they were discussing how they remembered their final moments with his character. The regret of the last words being angry, spiteful or hurtful. I immediately flashed back to a moment with my brother-in-law, Dick, after my father's death 25 years ago. I felt, at the time, that he had never known that I love him because I had never told him so out loud.

I wanted so badly to call my son when the show was over. He and I are always telling each other that we love one another. I am always hugging him and outwardly showing my affection for him. There was a period, when I was about Johnny's age, when I didn't want to kiss my father good night but opted to shake hands. It was a "getting grown up" thing. I felt so much more adult when I shook his hand instead of kissing him. MEN didn't do those things. I hope my son never asks to shake my had. I never want him to be standing by the edge of the ocean screaming to the sky that his father died not knowing how much he loved him.

A quarter century later, I know my father loved me and I know he was aware of how much I loved him. At 16 you just aren't coherent enough to realize such a thing. I will never take for granted those "unspoken feelings that we are supposed to know about each other. Those around me will always know how I feel.

This has also sparked my motivation towards the "possible new relationship" I've hinted about in past posts. I want as few regrets in my life as possible. The chance for good relationship and happiness is certainly not something I am going to let slip through m fingers just because I'm a little scared to talk to a woman.

To quote the Jack Dawson character in "TITANIC':

"Make it count"

No comments: