Monday, July 04, 2005

What a weekend I just had. Next year I hope to have a laptop so I will be able to blog from the road.

There were no real problems in flying to and from San Antonio; although I did have a 2 hour delay on the way there. I don't know what the problem people have with Atlanta International Airport. Yes, it is big and there was a delay, but it is comfortable, easy to get around and plenty of places to eat and relax. I swear the voice announcing the tram is that of Robby the Robot. If you travel and go through that airport listen carefully the next time you're getting on the train.

International Conference was a wonderful experience. My first Executive Committee and Admiratly Board meeting went well. I asked around and my report was received well and there was actual discussion and progress made on something from my department. It was a different experience being at one of these now being one of the officers of Starfleet.

One of the most rewarding moments was when a woman approached me and thanked me for responding to a notice about her being in a car accident. It meant so much to her that someone from HQ had not only read the report and took note of something personal like that but that I had taken the time to respond privately and share my concern about her. Just a product of my raising, I guess. It seemed the natural thing to do.

It was good to finally put some faces to the names on the rest of HQ staff and the regional coordinators with whom I have only had an internet relationship. They all seem like a good bunch of nuts, just like me, who enjoy doing the jobs we have.

And DAMN......can they party!

There were two nights of outrageous partying which included my intake of this absolute vile Chinese alcohol. It was the nastiest thing going down but the after affect was most enjoyable. At one of the parties I decided to just lie on the bed in stead of fighting the inebriation. While I will save some of the stories from being shared on the net I will say the highlight was actor Vaughn Armstrong joined me in the bed. While I always say I am a devout heterosexual, the sight of him lying with me was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

The one moment I do regret from the weekend was upsetting a friend. Sauna's Dolan and I got into a contest getting each other in and out of the Klingon Jail. This is where the Klingon would arrest you based on a warrant someone would pay for. You could then either pay your bail, raise the money to be bailed out or do your time. Just when she was going to get herself bailed out I made a big deal of keeping her in longer. Her fragile 14 year old ego could only take so much and she proceeded to cry. In the end, it was a good lesson for her in giving and receiving a practical joke and, in the long run, I think she has learned from it. How our mutual "revenge" goes from here will tell.

I've got John here with me as we prepare to head to Shore Leave on Wednesday. We had our chapter cookout today and that was its usual success. John and I went to the top of the Roosevelt Bridge to watch fireworks. We had time to talk as we waited and was another moment I'll add a a great father son moment.

The next week will be sparse for blogging. If I have time and can think of other moments from the weekend worth sharing I will post tomorrow. Other than that, there will probably not be a blog for another week after we return from Maryland.

No comments: