Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Home again, home again, jiggety, jig.

Another successful trip to Shore Leave. I'll post details after I've had a good night's sleep and a chance to gather my thoughts. Next year we are looking at flying as a way of saving time and our poor aging bodies. There is something, though, to the whole road trip that I would miss.

The best part of the whole thing is the time spent with my son. He and I took the after con "walk about" where we walk through the hotel after everything from the convention is packed away and the place returns to normal. Rooms which were packed with dealers are now stripped bare, hallways are empty of people and a hush falls over the entire building.

I think he got a kick out of my including him in that tradition. We talked about the weekend and sat and talked about personal things for a while. It was one of those moments with him about which I've always day dreamed. Talking with him and sharing thoughts and emotions on a one on one, grown person to grown person level.

That's a lot of what this trip to Hunt Valley is always about for me. Sure, there's a great convention going on but it is also a chance to reconnect with friends. I could almost certainly go to the hotel and not buy a membership for the con and come away with the same feeling. This is now a place where my friendships from New England can mesh with those from Florida. Where I hug friends I only see this one weekend in July with the same gusto I hug those I see all the time. Where my son and I can share time together and grow stronger bonds.

Well, my own bed is calling and I have to get back to work tomorrow, much as I'd rather still be in the Jacuzzi or a barstool in the Paddock Bar.

But there's always next year...........

No comments: