Thursday, July 07, 2005

We've made it to the Hunt Valley. And we've made it in style. We ended up renting a fantastic Dodge Magnum. WOW! With a Hemi engine. This things moves like a bat outta hell. It ride like a dream; even getting stuck in Beltway rush hour traffic was enjoyable. Well, relatively enjoyable.

We got out of St Lucie County by 2 PM and thanks to the Hemi engine were able to keep a brisk 90 MPH average. We got to South of the Border by almost 10 PM. After checking into the room John and I headed to the pool. It sits under a domed ceiling and has a bar, kiddie pool and jacuzzi. It is the perfect way to relax after a long ride.

The walls at SOB are not quite perfectly soundproofed and I had to have the help of a Tylenol PM to drown out the singing people in the room next to us. We were up bright and early again the next morning and off to a local Sonic for breakfast. The ride through the metro DC area was slowed because of a major chemical spill which has a 5 mile stretch of 95 closed down. Add to that we hit the beltway at 3:30, just at the start of rush hour. Somehow, the Magnum made it a nicer ride.

Now we are setteled in the comfort of the Marriott. I immediately called my friend Bill, who was unable to make it this year. It is a continuation of a tradition to call and bust the chops of those who stay behind. My friends and I are all having a wonderful time.

John, as well, seems to be having a good time. He and I slept in the same bed at SOB last night. At one point I just laid there listening to him breathe. I even got to the point of matching my breathing rhythm to his. It is amazing to me that I had a part in creating him. He is becoming a full blown grown person right before my eyes. He joins in on jokes and keeps up with the rest of us. He enjoys being included with the adults and treated as one. And I love watching him doing all of that. This weekend is another I hope to add to the list of memories he'll carry with him forever.

2 comments:

The Hey said...

Sorry I'm gonna miss you at the con, but bigger things await me next week on the left coast!!!

Give Number 6 a kiss for me!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's nice the SOMEONE had a hotel room to meet them.....