Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Damn, that Steven Spielberg known how to make a movie!

I just saw "War of the Worlds and I am fucking blown away! This is what moves are supposed to be. It's exciting. It's funny. It's scary. It's intriguing. It's touching. This is easily one of the best films he has EVER done.

God Bless George Pal, but these are what the martian machines are supposed to look like. They match descriptions from Wells' original story and will scare the living shit out you. The squat cyclops martian of the original film was almost cute; these little bastards are mean, nasty and ugly.

When I wasn't right on the edge of my seat I was either cowering in it or leaning back totally physically and emotionally exhausted.

It goes beyond being a science fiction film; it is a film about human relations. We see Cruise's character stripped down from everything and anything which is civilized and see how he does what ever it takes to survive and protect those he loves.

There is a strained relationship between Cruise and his children, in particular his son, which brought me to tears twice during the film. The last time I remember crying like this was "ET". The second time he does it, near the end of the film, is almost too far fetched. BUT YOU DON'T CARE. Disbelief was suspended long ago.

Spielberg, you manipulative bastard! He makes us laugh with a simple camera setup. He knots our stomachs as he brings us right beside the characters in the film hiding from the invaders causing us to stop breathing just like they are on the screen.

You give yourself over totally to this movie and go along for the ride. You come out sweating, shaking and nauseous and the end and want to thank him for doing this to you. This is what going to the movies is supposed to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree and all those who saw the movie with me last night in Beantown! You might check The Hey's comments thought!

I would say go see for yourself. A couple of things -how is they guys camcorder working after the EMP!!!

Cool touch to show the father son rivalry early on is the Dad wears a Yankees cap and the son wears a Red Sox cap. Needless to say when he puts it on the audience in Boston cheered. There was also a chear when you see the Welcome to Boston sign -so this made seeing the movie in Boston a bit special -sorry to make you homesick Jack!

The Hey said...

Once again, Towaway, did we see the same movie?!? Can't believe that you didn't like Batman and liked this.....

See my comments in my blog - I didn't hate it, but it should have been so much more.

I guess we are going to both have to endure FF to see which one of us is totally are off course..... ;-)