Saturday, May 29, 2004

Happy National Jack's Birthday Celebration Weekend!

Otherwise known as Memorial Day Weekend! When I was younger my father told me they had shut down the entire country for my birthday. All the parades were for my birthday. Hundreds of people took the day off of work and school to get together with family and friends just to celebrate the fact it was my birthday!

My father was a very twisted man.

And it's genetic!

Speaking of which, I have my son visiting with me for the weekend. It's always great when we can spend time like this. Now, that I'm a licensed driver again, that should be more often. But more on that later.

He continues to grow and mature each time I see him. We even have the occasional conversation which strays from movies and video games to semi-serious topics. I do revel in the fact we can communicate on an even level. Because of my father's condition after his stroke there was always some distance between us. Even though he did everything for me and spoiled me there was a growing distance between us. I can times when I would spend hours after school hanging out between classes and chorus rehearsals just to avoid going home. Yes, I regret it now; but I was a stupid kid then who thought everyone lived forever.

Wow! How did I get melancholy so quick! This is a great weekend, damnit!

I had hoped to go see "The Producers" in West Palm. Johnny hasn't had much exposure to theatre other than plays for kids and I thought this would be a great introduction. He has enjoyed the Mel Brooks stuff I've showed him so far and this is so much more. Alan Ruck, from "Ferris Bueller" is playing the Leo Bloom part. To prepare him for it I bought a copy of "Ferris" and we watched it just a few minutes ago. He seemed to like it. I'm really enjoying introducing him to some of the stuff I love. Most of the time we're in synch.

I'll be placing my new copy of "Bubba Ho-Tep" on eBay soon. I've been waiting for this ever since I saw Bruce Campbell at a Vulkon 3 years ago; the story sounded cool and, hey!....it's Bruce as Elvis! Cripes, did it SUCK! Very rarely do I give up on a movie but I haven't even finished watching this. OK, it's not as bad as "Cat in the Hat" which was the last one I simply could not finish, but the story never got going. Campbell did a great job as Elvis but they were spending too much time on that. The special effects seem to have been done by a "special needs" special effects team if you get my drift. Cheap and cheesy. The whole thing just grinded its way through the hours of so of it that I've been able to watch. Had such high hopes. Next time I'll Netflix something like that before buying.

I'll post again over the weekend if I can.

2 comments:

Bismo said...

Very happy birthday to you, Towaway! And an aside, I'm happy to note that "Ferris Bueller" has been one of Chris' most favorite movies since he was 4, he asks for it just about every time we try to pick a movie to watch together!

The Hey said...

Happy Birthday, old man!!!