Saturday, May 03, 2008

Today was kind of easy going. Although Jason and I got up early to make it downtown for Free Comic Book Day. We went to one of his favorite stores in the University District. Like most communities near a college this was filled with all of the requisite shops; books, music, speciality foods, tattoo parlors and vintage clothing. I haven't seriously collected comics in years but, hey...it's free. I also grabbed a Trek comic and introduced Jason to Filler Bunny.

Afterwards, we went to the other staple of the college community; the artsy movie house to see "Ironman". This was in a renovated a renovated theater dating back somewhere to the '20's by the looks of it. Old, wooden seats flat on the floor and a ticket booth outside the front door. No stadium seating here but a killer sound system.

As far as the movie: outstanding! Robert Downey Jr. IS Tony Stark. No two ways about it, Downey makes this movie. He brings the smart assed billionaire to life. His believability as that character makes the entire rest of the movie believable. As soon as you believe him as that character the flying suit, the ultra high tech science he surrounds himself with, the flying suit or armor...everything makes sense and works. Even Jeff Bridges over the top performance at the end of the movie, under any other circumstance would be laughable, has weight and believability because you buy Downey as Stark. The story has depth and an emotional weight to it. As always with these super hero movies; they mess with the history of the character. In this instance, it makes sense and adds to the drama. And, if you haven't heard already, stay until after the credits.

The best part of the day was my interaction with my son because of the movie. Just as I was headed to the movie, I text messaged him. He told me he had seen the movie, calling it "awesome". He also gave me the heads up about the final moments of the movie. When I texted to him again saying, "You were FN right! The movie ROCKED" he called me right back and we talked like two geeks for about 5 minuets. It was another of those moments where I had built up my anxiety about not seeing him for so long and worrying that we were drifting apart and he made all those feelings go away with one simple call.

You've seen me talking about this before and I have no idea where this comes from. If it's an abandonment issue or what it's called, I don't know. The moment it happens and a situation like this phone call clears my head I can see it for what it is and I almost slap myself in the head to remind myself to get over it. It may be my growing anxiety as his 18th birthday looms closer. I know he is my son, he always will be my son and we will always have the strong connection that we have. I also know someday I will get over this ridiculous cycle I go through.

Maybe by the time he turns 30.

Speaking of birthdays; Dana gave me my birthday cake early. A delicious chocolate cake; all soft and gooey inside. For years now, she has been making me a Red Velvet cake for my birthday. This woman is a whiz in the kitchen. I don't know how Jason doesn't have my physique with the way she cooks. This year, because we have been running around so much, she wasn't able to get the extra ingredients to make the usual red velvet. But, since they had flown me out here for my birthday...I'll let her slide this year!

No comments: