Thursday, May 01, 2008

A few months ago, my friend Jason called and said, "We'd like to give you a birthday present. We want to fly you out here to Seattle for a weekend!"

So, here I am in the great northwest!

The flight out here wasn't that bad although my wide body and that of most airliners aren't completely compatible. I felt really sorry for this little Spanish speaking older lady with a cane and bad leg who was sandwiched between me and her also bulky son on the 4 hour flight from Houston to here.

No one at work is going to believe me when they find out that all along my way here I had called to check in with my office 4-6 times! We have just started re-vamping the department in which I work and I was responsible for setting my my temporary replacement and getting all the work together for while I was gone. She had some computer issues all morning long and in between flights I would call and check and offer help. I'm on frakking vacation and I'm calling the office! Something is seriously wrong with me!

As as flew in we got a fly by of Mt. Rainier and a wonderful view of the city. The drab little airport here is in serious need of a makeover. As I waited for my luggage I tried for the 3rd time, as I had all morning to reach Julie; but no answer. I then called her father and found out that she had taken her oldest daughter, Emily, to the emergency room. It's so frustrating for me, at times like these to be so far away. Her father made me feel better, though. He said he'd tell he I landed OK in Seattle with three flight attendants in my lap.

What a pal!

Jason had arranged for a car to pick me up and I finally made it to their apartment in Renton by lunchtime. The kids went nuts when I came through the door. Jason, himself, looked good; sporting a new, finely trimmed Mohawk. Ben, his youngest, is now walking and talking and has come out of his shell. When I saw him 8 months ago he was always slightly aloof and not too sure about me. Now we are best buds. He is constantly saying my name and is ready to sit with me or ride on my shoulders.

We took the bus into downtown and then onto the monorail to the city center where we met Dana. We nosed through some gift shops and then had dinner in the restaurant at the Music Experience Project. Then it was off to one of my "must see's" on this trip. The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame. The collection is excellent; the filming model of the Jupiter 2, Robby the Robot, Cylons, the Lost in Space Robot, costumes, weapons and...KIRK'S CHAIR! I must have stood staring at that for 5 minuets.

My other big geek moment when I was looking through the collection of movie and TV robots. I walked past the biggies they had together in this one case where they had Robbie and the Lost in Space robot conversing with each other. As I walked around the display, making a turn past R2D2 I was caught by surprise by something which instantly turned me into a 14 year old.

"Muffett!" I yelled out. There, tucked in the corner, almost out of sight, was the Daggit from the Original "Battlestar Galactica"! Yes, I was a geek in heaven.

We didn't go through the Music Experience as it was getting late. I also passed on the Space Needle as they wanted $16 to go to the top. I might reconsider by the end of the weekend but at least I can say I had been there and seen it.

I can see why the grunge movement started here in Seattle. It is not too remarkable a city and the cloudy skies can easily make for a darker mood. We've still got plenty planned for this trip and I'm here until Sunday. More than anything, it's good to be with my friends again.

No comments: