Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My favorite part of this house has got to be the pool. The weather has finally gotten to a point where I can go in the pool any time of the day or night.

When I can wrestle myself awake even five minutes early the best way to wake up is a quick jump in the pool. The cool water shakes away any lingering sleep and refreshes better than a shower; the total immersion into cool water shocking me into consciousness.

The moment I get home, even before watching the day's "General Hospital" on my DVR, I jump in the pool. The day's stresses wash away as soon as I hit the water. Since we are now in the humid season here in Florida it is a given that even the minimum time of walking from the office to the car and the car to the house would have layered tropical sweat on me which washes away instantly.

The best time in the pool is late at night; I often go in right before bedtime around 1AM. The heat of the day is still lingering slightly in the air and the water is also holding onto its collected radiant heat feeling slightly tepid but still cool enough to refresh as I lower myself in. While a morning or daytime swim starts with a jump and a splash these night time swims are a slow walk down the steps and to the deep end as my feet slowly rais up off the bottom and I floating. The quiet of the night makes any nose seem sacrilige. Only the soft lapping of the ripples in the water and the breeze through the overhanging pine trees are allowed. When the moon is full the reflections on the water look completly different than they do under sunlight. They flash green and blue streaks across the surface of the water and their mirrored movements dance across the bottom of the pool and across my skin. Above my is a clear sky with the stars shimmering as busily as the water around me.

It's only a hole filled with chemically enhanced water but will by far be the hardest part of this house to leave behind.

No comments: