Friday, November 03, 2006

I finally got myself to the clinic at work. First it was because of an ear infection similar to swimmers ear. While I was there I started asking about these pains in my legs and feet. I just love getting old!

It all started about three weeks ago, just days before our trip to Universal Halloween Horror Nights. Just as the manager of the Publix locked his door my legs got the worst muscle cramps I have ever had. It felt as if the muscles in my calves were wrapping around the bone and twisting in opposite directions. I have never felt such pain. It took almost an hour for me to walk it off to a point where I could actually walk. If Publix were still open I could have gotten a few bottles of tonic water instead I had to go across town to the all night drug store and spend three times as much money for quinine pills. Just as I got dressed to go I pointed my toe to put on my shoes and put the leg back into a spasm.

While the spasm did finally subside I was left with a constant, stabbing pain in the ankle and heel of both feet. I could manage through most of my work day seated in my cubicle but my enjoyment of Universal was limited. After walking around for a few hours the pain got so bad I had to sit out all of the haunted houses. After x-rays and ultrasound it has been found to be bond spurs. Nasty little bastards. I am taking a steroid to bring down the inflammation of the tissue around these little calcium collections. If that does not work we'll look at some other options.

It is so much fun getting old. My fun right now is watching my bread grow back in to see how much more grey hairs will be there this time around!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I know about severe pain.

You've been a severe pain in my ass for 13 years now....

It's about time you go frakkin' see someone.

Just because it's not visibly bleeding doesn't mean you should ignore getting it looked at...

Kind of reminds me of the way you handle your relationships with females.

I know you love me.....

Anonymous said...

And you don't think the "overhang" has anything to do with leg/back/etc pain?

Think again!

Anonymous said...

J~ try getting a couple of heel cups for inside your shoes (socks). It makes a huge difference.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was not going to be as brutal as the other anonymous poster, but I will definitely add my two cents here. People who have dealt with weight issues and moreso, those who have dealt with extreme weight sometimes make me shake my head, and I will explain. For some reason, and every person has a different reason, you have subjected your body to such demands, that no body should ever have to got through, that your body finally says, "Hey...I have had enough."
Then, you wonder what is wrong with you. Some say age, others remark that it runs in the family, but bottom line, you are just paying for all the years of abuse you did to yourself.
Same as a drug addict or alcoholic. You make a wanton choice to either put down a normal portion of mashed potatoes, or pile your plate so high that you need a fence around your plate to keep it from spilling on to the table.
There is nothing wrong with liking, even loving food, but where does it end. Right where you are now, reaping what you have sown all these years past. And yet, I am curious as to how many doctors are willing to say to your face. "You partied all those years, now it is catching up to you."

Anonymous said...

You're frakkin' kidding me, right?

You've never had any compulsion to over do anything?

Obviously, not to overdo thinking.

You obviously don't read the complete works of Towaway, nor do you know him at all.

He has been under doctor care since his surgery. He is absolutly healthy. Other than his poor choice in females...

People get bone frakkin' spurs. Happens all the time. People who jog on a regular basis fall flat on their ass of a heart attack.

Jack, has lived life. He has lived and loved. He is loved.

I am curious to know how many doctors have suggested you go find another therapist.

Sorry, pisses me off when someone decides they know it all, wants to share it all, but doesn't leave a name.

Thanks, anonymous #2, for letting us know you are getting help for your lack of balls. I'm sure it was an over indulgence in therapy.

Beer and wings on me, Towaway...