Monday, November 06, 2006

I am in a bit of a quandary about "The Other Person" at work. I have been contemplating letting her know how I feel about her but am stopped by the fact that she is in a relationship.

No, I'm not afraid of rejection. After all these years, I'm used to it by now.

Part of me feels it is unfair to the guy she is dating. No, there is no jewelry but 5 months does mean a commitment of some kind and part of me feels I have no right intruding. I have been on the receiving end of that myself in the past and know how it feels.

I don't want to upset her life or steal her away. I only want her to know how I feel. What she does with that is up to her. She is young and her life could change. What seems like "the right thing" now could be totally different in a few months. I also enjoy our friendship now and if I were to drop this bomb it would have an affect on that friendship.

I hate regrets. I already regret not saying something to her 5 months ago when the window of opportunity was open and I made a different, and eventually, wrong choice. There are changes at work which will make it harder for us to be in contact and some changes may be coming in her life which may take her out of the area as well. I know I would regret it more if I didn't say something.

Or am I being selfish.

How would I feel if I never say anything and miss another opportunity? What is the worst that could happen; she says, "Thanks but no thanks". At least I would have let her know.

I continue to ponder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you try for someone your own age you will have better luck. Your going after girls your son should be flirting with.

Anonymous said...

Two things I see wrong with this situation. One, I agree with the first anonymous poster, the age thing. If I have to tell you who an older singer is, or what a classic movie is all about, or why you every perosn on the planet should own Dark Side of the Moon...then I say move on to someone more age compatible. Two, you may find it liberating to open your soul to this person, but think of how uncomfortable she is going to feel, knowing you have feelings for her and she does not reciprocate those feelings. That makes for some very akward moments, that everyone is as comfortable with as you might be.