Thursday, November 09, 2006

For better or worse I dropped my bomb today and told "The Other Person" at work how I felt. And I did it in my usual Towaway style.......half screwed up!

I first was going to try something smart.

OK....if you know me well enough you know I don't always do smart all that well.

I won't bore you with the details except that it too me two different tries and when I was finally able to get the words out they were not exactly what I had rehearsed in my head; but I guess life does never happen the way we rehearse.

She knew I had a note I was going to give to "The Other Person" and seemed to assume I was giving it to her for her opinion. However, as I gave it to her I stammered out, "You have been asking for weeks who 'The Other Person' is. Well......it's you".

The silence only lasted 3 or 4 seconds but I swear the earth stopped spinning, clocks hands held their place and not one living creature passed a breath until she reacted by saying,

"Why me?!"

I used to say that I felt as if my life were being written by Neil Simon. It was moments like this that convinced me of it.

We haven't talked since as I was headed off to a training class and by the time I got out she had left for the three day weekend. My motivation to finally drop this bomb was that I could not have gone through the extended weekend without saying anything; that it would be sheer torture to have this nagging at me. Well, that's exactly where I am now anyway. That worked well.

Actually, it isn't that bad. I took the chance. I didn't let it turn into a deeper regret; I had said something. I am trusting that, since she reads this blog, she understands my motivations and that it does not adversely affect our friendship. Even if nothing comes of it; that's OK. I've been honest about my feelings and I didn't keep them inside. It's simply information for her to have to use or not use as she sees fit. She can ignore it and we can go on like the friends we already are. If things change in her life she already knows there are possibilities out there.

Monday should be interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I can't frakkin' wait....

Finally, someone with some cajones.

I meant her, not you...

Anonymous said...

At least you took the chance. Imagine of you never did. That would gnaw at you forever on end.

At least you are willing to let the chips fall where they may...!