Thursday, September 08, 2005

My fingers are crossed that I might be working my way into my first paid vice over job. My friend Jason has become acquainted with a local horror author, Franklin E Wales. He has written a novel called "Booger". On his website Frank mentioned that would like to do an audio version of the book but had yet to find "a voice he could afford". This would be a perfect opportunity for me, trying to break into the business and for him, trying to get an audio book done inexpensively.

I got some advice from George Takei, as he's the only person I know who does this for a living. He tended to agree that using this as a "resume piece" was more important that the money. The money can come later.

Tell that to my bank book!

I am proud of my friendship with George and always hope that it doesn't sound like name dropping whenever I talk about him. After almost 20 years of knowing him I look on him as a friend and not just "Sulu". OK, so the geek in me loves it. I never would have imagined being in the position of conferring as a professional with someone I watched every day on television.

If I was in this friendship with him simply for monetary gain and vicarious notoriety I would have sold my videotape of the Jogging Practical Joke years ago. From the beginning, I guarded that tape because it was a personal moment between George and me.

On the same voice over train of thought, I am supposed to be going up to Orlando in the next few weeks on another lead for work. A friend of mine is teaching at The Dave School. As I was watching the AFI Tribute to George Lucas a pattern seemed to show itself. Coppola, Speilberg and others talked about working with Lucas on their student films when they were at USC.

.....student films?

.....STUDENT FILMS!

If it worked for these guys the same theory should work for me. I will offer my to work for these students making computer games and animations for film and TV, then when they hit the big time they go looking for the same voice over talent that helped get them started. The best part of this is I get my foot slightly in the door without having to leave the area.

No comments: