Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I just had the coolest conversation with my son today. I was sharing with him my opinion of "Sin City" (It sucked) when I was given the most unexpected gift; his respect.

I was telling him how, while I liked the visuals of the movie, it lacked a coherent plot. Basically, there was no story to really follow. He said, "Wow, it must have been bad; something like that coming from you" He values me opinion and seems to use it as a yardstick for comparison. OK, so he probably doesn't always agree, but he does seem to put value to it.

I don't think my feet have touched the ground. Each day with him gets better and better the older her gets. I know I've spouted off before about envisioning the two of us as adults together, but this hammered that home to me again. We have grown, not only as parent and child, but as friends. There were may times since the divorce when The Ex had said things to try to undermine my relationship with him but that all fades away with each moment like this. In spite of the mileage and situations my son and I have grown together. I do still regret not being part of the day to day of his life; but what he now have, and what it seems to be going, is a fantastic relationship I see getting stronger than if I had been there all along.

Speaking of opinions:

Battlestar Galactica has got to be the best thing to hit television in a long time. I yelled out when the twist ending hit last Friday night. I did not see it coming. The writing is as good as The West Wing as is the acting. It's a drama that just happens to be science fiction. If you missed it the first time around please find a DVD, download it from the net, watch the reruns....whatever you have to do to get into this show.

24 continues to be a bad show done well. Maybe it's because they have gone to the well one too many times and stretched believability too far. In this weeks episode I find it beyond belief that getting to Air Force One could be so easy and that, knowing of the imminent danger, that the President would just sit and wait.

The Pacifier bites. When it was over, I turned to my son and said, "You owe me $12." While it was aimed directly at 10 year olds it really should not have seemed as if it were written by a 10 year old. Yeech.

No comments: