Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I usually don't try to say much derogatory about The Ex in public. Well, at least when my son is around. But I think it's time to state the obvious.

The Ex is a big poopie head!

Today I called and broached the idea of taking Johnny to the first midnight showing of "Revenge of the Sith". She laughed and said, "Honey, you're not serious". Her concern was his missing school. Mine was missing out on a fantastic father/son moment. While she may have a point this is something of an event.

OK, OK....I'm a geek. But so is my son! He hides it well, but he is a geek by genetics if nothing else. We have never gone to any of the Star Wars movies on opening day much less a midnight show. This would be something he'd remember forever.

I still vividly remember my father trying to share a passion of his with me when I was little. Stock car racing. It was too loud for my little ears and I walked around most of the time with my hands plastered to each side of my head. He tired bribing me with memorabilia and food. I would have no part of it. I can see him dragging me through the packed parking lot back to the car. As the dim of the engines faded behind us I was sure he was taking to my next spanking as I had put up quite a stink to leave early. But it was a moment between him and me that is still so vivid I can smell the fumes. I want him to have just as many with me when he gets older.

As what I was hoping would be ammunition on my side I asked her if she thought my friend Dave (The Hey, for those in the know) and his wife had these same kind of conversations when Opening Day approached. That much we did agree on.

The only good part to the conversation was that we were able to joke and talk to each other about it like we might have years ago. It's nice to have that much of my old friend back.

Even if she is a poopie head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poopie head...still the literary flair I expect from you my old friend!
Kriss

The Hey said...

Actually, we don't have to have these conversations...at least not yet. Most of it is a given. If my girls were more interested in opening day at Fenway or a midnight show of Star Wars I'm sure the Mrs. would see it as a bonding experience and wouldn't have a problem with it.

My older one goes with me to the PawSox opening day and has for years. She enjoys the minor league level but does care for Fenway at all. I don't take my little one to opening day (yet) as she has just started to be able to sit through entire games. Maybe next year...

As for something like Star Wars or something geekish, my little one is more the geek than my old one, but I tend to test the waters so to speak first. For Episode I and II I went alone first and took her to see it later.

For Ep III it is imperative I see it first given the content this time 'round, although I have been preparing her for it ("Now, honey, you know in this one everybody dies, right?")

I vote that Johhny should go to the screening!!!