Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I had the opportunity to get even with one of those who were in on my "pink slip" a few months ago. Very innocently, the Human Resources person, who sprung that gem of a practical joke on me, told me last week that her 40th birthday was coming up and she was dreading it. Another person who was there said my eyes immediately glassed over as my mind began racing through any and all possibilities on what I could do to her.

A friend of mine is the manager of a local supermarket and helped out by supplying a few dozen old flowers destined for the dumpster. I had a large cardboard box on its way out and salvaged it to be transformed into a gravestone. With some grey and black spray paint this three foot tall box began looking like a block of granite. On the front I placed a piece of parchment showing this was the resting place of my target's youth; 1965-2005...RIP. Another can of black spray paint turned the wilting flowers into a monotone death shroud of blossoms for the top of the monument.

The HR office is right next to the time clocks as every ones comes if the front door so there were few who missed this edifice placed right next to her office door. It was perfect. For some reason, she immediately came to me. I don't know where I get this reputation?!

She has a great sense of humor and loved it. The punch line to the whole thing is that she lied about her age; she is actually 44! I turned this around for myself by telling her that meant I got her two presents for her birthday; the flowers....and now everyone thinks she's younger!

No comments: