Tuesday, February 22, 2005

My little boy is growing up!

John took his first commute from Broward County to the northern most stop on Tri-rail solo this weekend. Actually he took it with his older brother Jim, but it was completely without adult supervision. The ironic thing is; when I was married to the Ex and Jim went for his first day of school, his mother was a pool of tears. In my most male of moments was smiling and waving happily at the bus and laughing at her saying, "We'll probably have to sedate you when he goes off to college!" Now, I was the one standing on a train platform tearing up over a simple commuter train ride.

We had a good weekend as usual. I bought a couch from a co-worker and they helped move that on Saturday. We mostly hung out watching the Omen trilogy and playing a Star Wars role playing card game. Sunday was the Trident 10th anniversary cookout. I taught John how to make my Redneck Caviar.

My van is still limping along but for Friday, to get the boys from the Tri-rail station, I had rented a car. It ended up being the last time I would rent from Enterprise. Apparently they have taken a big hit from people using debit cards linked to bogus accounts; people would end up stealing the cars and there would be no account to which any changes could be applied. So, here I am, picking up my car during a half-hour lunch break and they hand me a piece of paper asking for all kinds of information and references. When I returned the car the next day (and YES, I drove it like a rental!) I informed then that they could cancel my next rental. I told them that I felt insulted, as a repeat and regular customer, to have to fill out the required paperwork. I can understand for someone fresh off the street who had no relationship. They tried their hardest to keep my business. One phone call to another company who also had a bsuiness discount with ym comapny and I had found anew car rental company.

Years ago, I was never one to send food back at a restaurant or pay whatever extra fees were added on to a bill. Now all it takes is one little slip of paper to piss me off.

No comments: