Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I may be speaking sacrilidge here but I really think too big a deal was made over Rodney Dangerfield's passing. Here's why I feel this way.

Tonight's "ABC's World News Tonight" (the best in network evening news) starts off their program with three "teaser" stories designed to keep the viewer's interest through the half hour and boost ratings. Yes, the are designed just for that ratings reason but they are also supposed to be the highlight of the most important news items of the day. Tonight, they pushed last night's vice-presidential debate, the flu vaccine crisis and, finally the passing of Rodney.

I don't recall what the teasers were for Monday night, but none of the big three teasers made any mention of the passing of Gordon Cooper. Yes, they did cover it in their broadcast. Apparently, to the minds of the producers of ABC World News, the passing of one of the original Mercury Seven pales in comparison to a comedian.

I am a big fan of Rodney's. He was a master of his craft. More important than that was how, as his celebrity cache grew he used it to help out up and coming comedians; some of which would go one to be bigger then he could ever dream of being. The would have been no Sam Kinison, Robin Williams or countless others if not for the google-eyes godfather of stand up. But, after all, he was only that; a comedian.

Gordo Cooper was the 6th man to fly into space. There is in no possible way Rodney's life eclipses Gordo's. Cooper epanded our universe. Rodney told jokes. I really don't want to diminish Rodney's contributions it's just that there seems to be a loss of focus, not only with the ABC producers but in our society as a whole, as to the definition of a hero. I overheard three or four people mention Rodney's passing today at work while I didn't hear Cooper's name once. In a time when police officers and fire fighters have been recognized for the heroes they are it's disheartening not to hear Gordo's name mentioned with the same reverence.

May both men rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John,

You have to remeber that Rodney Dangerfield was a more common household name than Gordon Cooper. Rodney was just better known, doesn't make it right, but facts are facts.

If it had been Buzz Aldrin, or John Glenn, then it would have made a bigger impact. But even with these names in time the younger crowd will forget.

The biggest impact made on me was with my neice 3 years ago,we were in DC, and I stopped at Arlington to see JFK's grave site, she wanted to walk with me, on the way there she asked where we were going, I told her, and she asked " Who is JFK?" I stopped in my tracks, this girl of 12 had no idea who JFK was, that he was a former president, and who had killed him..just a sign of the times..sad that we forget our history, and don't pass it on. I hope at least with my neice I have fixed that one missing part.

Yes, both will be missed, by those that remember, and knew them best.