Monday, October 04, 2004

And FP&L said, "let there be light!" and there was and it was good!

This time it has been a sweltering 8 days without electricity. I finally gave up and took Johnny for our weekend to a hotel in Hollywood. Not really in the budget, but a Hurricane Relief bonus from work helped take care of that. Just to sleep in air conditioned comfort without the constant groaning of generators was worth it. I was half sick most of the time. At work on Friday they were trying to cut down on the mold buildup by having the air on so high you could have stored ice. I usually don't mind a chilly room, but when my teeth started chattering, I knew it was time to go. I came home and slept for three hours. I don't know how I made the 90 minute ride to pick him up and while I found cheaper hotels on the net I just flopped into the first one I could find and ended up spending about twice what I should have had to. Still was worth it.

John and I got to spend some of that quality time together. We did lots of talking and simply spending time together. The more time we spend together the more I'm looking forward to him becoming an adult. Like most 13 year olds, he hates the taste of alcohol, but I dream of the day I can take my son out for a drink; something I never got to do with my father.

We went to see "Fish Tale"; which sucked, and "Shaun of the Dead" with was hilarious. Most other times we sat around watching TV, went out to eat and hit the pool.

I also seemed to have gained points with him with my clothing choice on Friday. I had just bought a sleeveless Starter basketball style shirt. It is black and I wear it with a red t-shirt underneath and my black calf-length shorts John has one just like it so he thought it was fine. It was dubbed by everyone else as my "Mid-life Crisis Outfit".

Wasn't feeling totally up to par for work today so I stayed home, slept and got most of my belongings unpacked. I feel a little confident in unpacking, now that odds are in our favor against having yet another hurricane coming through our area.

Not that most of us are nervous about the weather but a friend of mine scared the hell out of me by asking if I had heard from Storm lately. Storm, if you remember, is the name of the "young lady". In my hurricane paranoia all I heard was had I heard "about the storm" and thought there was another on the way. It took most of the morning for my blood pressure to return to normal.

Photos from both hurricanes WILL be coming soon.

No comments: