Sunday, May 01, 2005

A sure sign that I'm becoming a middle aged fart.

I got all excited about a new stretch of road that opened up a few days ago. They have been working on this three mile section of road for a while now and it was delayed for about a month. You'd have to know the area, but it is a bypass to the major artery through the county and something I saw as a "Why didn't they do this years ago?!" kind of thing.

It would save me a stressful ride to and from work. It might save me time as well. It looked to be a more direct route than what I was traveling. I was overjoyed when they announced its construction.

Finally you could see the progress from the main road. Trees were cleared, A foundation was laid. Pavement. I gladly put up with the inconvenience of narrowed lanes on our main thoroughfare as crews married the new and old roads. Landscaping was completed. Then, finally, the ultimate tease; the traffic light at the new intersection. To taunt me even further, in a gesture I'm sure the highway department saw as courteous but only served to heighten my anticipation, was a blinking warning sign for the past two weeks announcing that the traffic light would become operational on April 28th.

The the day came. As I drove by and saw the barricades had been removed I could hardly contain myself. With screeching tires I made my first turn onto this road to Nirvana. And it is a very pretty ride through the savannahs. Two lanes which wander almost aimlessly past miles of brush and trees. They even built in a "scenic overlook" parking area halfway through so drivers could stop and enjoy nature's beauty.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Wait a freakin' minute! I'm getting misty over a road?!

What's next? Amway?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone needs just a few more outside activities to fill his otherwise boring day..hhummm?

Or maybe your just old..
I vote old.

Harry