Saturday, May 21, 2005

The best part about going to see Episode III on Thursday with my son was the car I got to rent. I had requested a convertible anyway because of this being a special event. When I got there the woman at Avis just smiled and handed me the keys to a brand-spanking-new 50th Anniversary Thunderbird!

I had FUN with this car.

Of course they have a governor on the engine which would not allow me to go over 100 mph but the car certainly did sing when it was topped off. Why anyone with a convertible in Florida would put the top up if it isn't raining is a mystery to me. This car was sooooooo sweet.

When I got to Johnny's he was standing in the driveway with some friends; I think the car got me the "cool dad" title. First thing he and his brother did was to do the patented "Batman" jump into the car with out opening the door. When we left to head out for dinner and the movie I turned the car to take the longer highway route to get to the mall. John asked why.

"Look as the car we're in, I answered, "You want to just drive this at 35 mph?!"

As soon as we hit the on ramp I punched the accelerator and the engine smoothly whined its way through the gears bolting us to top speed zipping in between cars getting to the mall in moments.

"This never happened!" I screamed to him over the rushing air. He just smiled and enjoyed the ride.

When we got to the mall I found a large empty section of parking lot and brought the car to a complete stop.

"What are we doing here?" John asked.

"Hold on."

I was taking a chance here because I had never had a car that was able to do what I was trying to do. I grabbed the wheel, turned it hard and then slammed on the accelerator. The car spun around in a perfect donut; engine humming and tires screeching.

As the car settled to a stop at the end of its 360 degrees John said, "You've always wanted to do that, didn't you?"

"Not really something I could do with an Areosar!"

"Yeah, it would probably tip over."

We went to a restaurant called Cheeburger Cheeburger. They have this one pound hamburger challenge; if you finish the burger they take your photo with a large styrofoam burger and put it up on the wall with hundred of others. My son finished his and signed his photo "I'm still hungry!"

A proud moment for the Eaton family!

Three of his friends joined us at the theater for the movie. It was great hanging out with him and his friends; seeing him in his own environment. This one of the things I really miss in not being the "residential dad". I had always pictured our house as the one that all the friends hung out.

So much seems so familiar. There was the funny friend. The cool one who high fived me. And the hanger on who invited himself to everything the others went to probably because what he had at home was lacking. In some ways this was just as good as if he and I had gone to the midnight show ourselves.

Oh...the movie! He loved it. My final review will be tomorrow after I see it one more time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will check with you ISP, and obtain your work, and or home address. I will meet you there with tickets for the following;
Speeding 100 in a 55,
Careless and reckless driving
Endangering minors
Damage to property, to remove the black marks from the mall parking lot.
I am sure the rental agency will be in touch.

Thank you,
Florida Highway Patrol