Friday, October 24, 2003

Hello! Welcome to my little corner of the universe. I have tried doing one of these a couple of times. Hopefully, this time around, I'll actually keep up with this and make entries on a regular basis. The last time I did that I was in Junior High School! Here goes nothing!

A quick synopsis of the past 41 years of my life. I am currently living in Florida. Having been drawn here from my native Rhode Island by the need to be close to my 12 year old son, Johnny. He is the pride of my life. Right now, due to many circumstances, I do not see him as much as I'd like, but we have a good relationship and do talk a lot of the telephone. Even without the constant contact since age three, he has some of my traits, a wicked sense of humor and we share many interests. OK, some of mine he just puts up with...just like I do with some of his. All of the things you hear about parenthood are true; it changes your life.

My life stared out a lot differently than I imagined. For many years I tried a radio career. I was not up for the WOLD life of moving up and down the dial, so that died out after about 12 years. I get the itch every once in a while to get back into it. However, right now I have a very good job with Liberty Medical Supply. (The medical supply company Wilford Brimley does ads for. I've met him...very cool little guy!) After 6 years of toiling on the telephone I have just gotten a supervisory job. If you know me, you're probably laughing at me being a boss. So do I sometimes. But it's working out well and I have the respect of the sales team I lead and my supervisors and management. That is very cool!

I also hold onto an old dream of being an actor. Hell, Danny Aiello didn't get started until he was just around my age! I've even had an actor friend of mine say I'd be a good character actor. Being in Florida, I'm very tempted to storm Orlando and try to get into voice over and cartoon acting. Old dreams die hard.

I look around my life often and wonder how I got to where I am. I have friends who are in the same boat financially and socially that I am. I also see friends who are where I imagined I should be by now. I sit here in a trailer park in Florida with my head spinning. I don't want to sound pessimistic, because that's something I've never been. My past 9 years here in Florida have been life changing for me. When I came down here, I lived in my car for almost two weeks. If I can survive that and move to where I am now then there isn't too much the fates or God can throw at me that can get me down.

As I write I hope to do a lot of what I did back in the 1970's with my little composition book. Get crap off my chest. Share events with whoever wants to read. Give you an idea what it's like to live life, maybe give you someone with whom you can relate. I might even make you laugh. Old dreams die hard!

No comments: