Thursday, December 25, 2008

What does today mean when you really don't believe?

A day off. Nothing but Chinese take out if you haven't stocked up correctly. A stress-free ride on major roadways. Some fairly decent movies opening at the theater.

This thought weighed on me as I drove around. Yes, I am the same guy with 83 Santas on his desk. That's 83 Santas but not one manger. I've even been to Bethlehem and seen "the spot" where Christ was born. In recent years, though, I have shuffled off most of the religious beliefs into which I was indoctrinated as a child for logic and reason. Faith is defined as "a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny". I gave up on supernatural powers when I realized that DC Comics were stories and not documentaries on the lives of Batman and Superman. And as far as "controlling human destiny", I have seen that life is far too random to be under any sort of control.

Webster's defines faith as "firm belief in something for which there is no proof". While it may be shaken from time to time I have faith in the belief that Lee Oswald did not act alone. The "evidence" is sometimes questionable but, just like religion, enough of it is laid out so I can reason through it and reach a logical conclusion. In 46 years a belief in a god has not provided any such proof.

I tend to agree with the Jews who say, basically, that a teacher named Jesus probably did exist and had a pretty good philosophy. I can see that. I can read the Bible and come away with some really good, basic rules for living a good life.

Does that cheapen my memories of my childhood Christmases? No. I still treasure the memories of all of those candlelight services I went to in my childhood church, of being lector for a number of years running at the midnight services and going Christmas caroling in some of the coldest weather I can remember.

I also pondered whether or not all my curse words still held any strength without the faith to back them up? Does "damn it" or "got to hell" really mean anything when I say them? I know I certainly feel the strong emotion when I say them but if I don't really believe the person I am yelling at will end up in a purgatory am I just shooting blanks? Loud and frightening like the real thing but with no stopping power.

I will still decorate each year with my growing horde of Clauses and I will sleep in on December 25th and eat Chinese food. I will also wish you a good day celebrating in whatever way you see fit and hope you have a Merry one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. 'Cept I do the early morning with J. I've never told her that Santa exists, of course I've never done the whole go to church thing either. I for one don't want her to think I lie to her.

But we're doing tradition, ours. And she's understanding what the "spirit" of Christmas is, and that there are those who worship in different ways. It helps having friends that are Christian, Wiccan, Buddists, Muslim, and even Pastafarians....

I think she's pretty spectacular...

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I think what anyone believes is their own ideas. Oddly, in the Bible it states that there are many ways to have faith and, many faiths. Which really is true be it Christianity,Muslim,Jewish,Wiccan,and so on-strangely this passage is left out of most church sermons and teachings. The thing is what makes religion bad are the fanatics and wackos who see imaginary wars on "Christmas". Check out Bill Maher's film RELIGULOUS, it's great!

I see modern religion-going to church and all that as more about business and money, than faith.

And if the radical Christian "fundies"(or Islamic Taliban types for that matter) think they have it right I think they're in for a shock.

I'd say celebrate it however you wish. Assuming there is a God, my assumption is that logically, this deity should be fairly forgiving.

In other words, don't worry about it. You're doing fine.

Anonymous said...

Jack,

I hope you enjoyed your holiday. Faith is what gets you through life and I would say you've done a pretty good job at getting through. We all seem to question God's existence, but yet we believe. Supposedly, Santa is tied to Jesus in the gift-giving arena. It's we who have turned the true spirit of Christmas into the atrocity it is today. As long as we are all the best people we can be, I am sure we are going somewhere better than where we are at this moment in time. I enjoy your blogs and miss you. And, hi Bob... I remember you from school. The mural guy? :D