Monday, December 15, 2008

Comedy is subjective; I get it. We've all had those moments when we tell a joke that almost made us pee our pants and suddenly we're loohttp://www.blogger.com/k at deer caught in headlights. No laughter for the best joke EVER told.

What is funny to one person is stupid to another. What may seem like cutting edge satire is crude and offensive to another. Which brings me to all the hub-bub over part of SNL's Weekend Update this weekend. Take a look...



I'm sorry....that was funny! Governor Paterson and the National Federation for the Blind have been all over the media whining about it. I have friends who are blind and disabled and I still think it's funny. I know the Governor is using his Bully Pulpit to raise awareness for the blind; good for him. It was still funny.

I also take this as continuing evidence that SNL is back. This season they have been knocking it out of the park with political satire. I also take it as a good sign that they are offending people and not just doing it by saying penis 100 times in a row. Satire is at its best when it makes people feel uncomfortable with seeing the truth.

Speaking of Governor Paterson; Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg has made it known she is interested in being appointed to Hillary's Senate seat! I can only imagine what some of the phone calls leading up to that decision must have been like! This should be interesting to watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...most of us Upstat-ers think it's funny. And those of us working for the government?? We are sooooo LOAO...

Red said...

Was it funny? Yeah sort of, was it done in good taste? that is where the perspective part comes in.

I have a a son with autism, so I view things differently. Would I find a skit about autism funny if it was done in good taste? I doubt it.

I look at it this way, would I laugh if the skit was being done right in front of my son. My answer would be a resounding NO!