Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Last Thursday was our annual Talent Show.

WE KICKED ASS!

We filled the Lyric Theater's 500 seats. It was amazing to play to a full house. We had a few new acts which added to the diversity of the show including our first member of senior management who has a voice which blew the roof off the place.

Our biggest mission of the night was to win over the new head of human resources. He comes with the new compant which bought us out and a talent show was not on his To Do Lost. However, a number of people made mention of it to him and rumor of an employee petition drive caused him to give in. Naturally, he was my first target of jokes for the evening. And it paid off! He was laughing his ass off and came up to me afterwards, hugging me and saying "You've got a fan!"

SOmetimes it's the small things which set off the evening. I scrambled just before going out the door the night of the show looking for some walk-on music for me and my co-host, Kenny. At the last moment I grabbed The Blues Brothers soundtrack and figured the "The Peter Gunn Theme" would work well enough. The music started, Kenny and I walked towards each other from opposite sides of the stage and hit fists together right on a music cue and the audience went crazy! It fit perfectly and set the attitude for the night.

I still get people coming up to me and commenting on the show. "You should be a stand up comedian!" "You should be in show business" "What are you doing wasting yourself here?"

They have no idea how many times I ask myself the same questions.

2 comments:

thebonebreaker said...

Glad to hear that the night went well - it sounds like you get better at mc'ing (?) every year! :-)

Red said...

I put the DVD on hold through Netflix!