Saturday, June 10, 2006

It is now official.

I have a girlfriend.

Things have continued to go well over the past few weeks with Stephany. However, through all of it I was haunted by a slight sense of insecurity. There were what I interpreted as mixed messages and occasional moments where I felt that she was going out of her way to make things difficult for us to be together. But through all of it she continued to send positive feedback to me on how things were going and would say things which made it feel more and more that we were in a relationship. I finally decided that the cards had to be laid on the table. Many of our conversations because there were things I wanted to say to her but did not feel right without some declaration of what kind of a relationship we actually had.

The evening started out with plans for dinner. As usual, these plans were interrupted and changed at the last moment due to family concerns. I fought my insecurities I'd been battling for the past few weeks but this time won them over as we did finally end up with time alone.

Under a starlit night we walked down a fishing pier and talked. Well, I did the talking. I stuttered and stammered through what I had been practicing for days. I had even brought notes and even had to refer to them from time to time. I wondered if it was cute and endearing or pathetic. Well, when I finally got to the bottom line it seemed as if I had steered away from pathetic as Stephany agreed with what I was saying. She said she also felt things had been going well with us.

Then silence. There seemed to be words I was still looking to hear. I decided to go with cute and endearing again.

"So...?" I asked as I leaned against her shoulder and in a bad impression of Goofy said, "Can I be yer boyfriend?"

She laughed first and said, "Yes."

SHE SAID YES!!!!!!!!!

If I could freeze that moment and hold it I would. My heart seemed to stop. The world seemed to halt its rotation. All there was in the universe at that moment were Stephany and me on that pier.

I have been accused by many for falling into relationships fast so I am not going to admit to that in this case or give into any far flung hopes for this relationship now that it is official. All I will admit to is what I promised Stephany; to be something I might not have been in the past, a better partner. To make her happy and to make her proud. We'll take it one step at a time.

These first steps do feel pretty good so far.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have just wrote her a note:

Do you like me?
Circle YES or NO

Can I be your boyfriend?
Circle YES or NO

She might have understood it better....

Ok Ok. I conceed.

I am truly happy for you. You know I've always said you are very special (and not in a blue helmet kind of way). You have gone thru hell and kept on going. You are a true gentleman, which has lead you wide open for heartbreak. I hope this is a relationship that will be mutually beneficial. If I could, I would hug you!! I wish I could say I won't ever tease you about it ever again, but, well, I just wouldn't be me, would I?

Jacky, I love you!!

I need to meet her so I can start teasing her as well. I have so many geriatric jokes.....

leslie said...

Jack:

We are SO happy for you. Just be really careful, OK? We don't want to see you get hurt or anything like that. You are a really great guy, and you truly deserve the best. It sounds like you are really happy, more so than ever.

The Hey said...

Congrats!! You should bring her up to Shore Leave and let us approve of her. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww.....


I'm sure that was cute in the moment... but I have to admit it was kinda goofy as well. :-)



Joost