Thursday, October 27, 2005

Showering has now become a religious experience. My cell phone alarm clock function wakes me just before the sun rises at 7AM. Still dark enough to need a flashlight to make it out to the TV in the living room. I’m not quite awake enough to focus completely on the screen, so it ends up acting more as a nightlight more than anything.

Still groggy enough not to completely remember how cold the water is going to be I turn the handle. My screams are so loud and high pitched that dogs for miles around howl back in response.

At least now I’m awake!

Supplies are still only limited to water and ice in the area. Luckily, my company hands out ice every day and I have running water. The lines are long though and with no power in many areas the lines at gas stations are also hours long. I was smart enough to fill up on Sunday, so I should have enough to last me through to Sunday, when supplies and working pumps should be plentiful.

I did stop in at Wal-Mat on the way into work this morning. No, that was not a typo. Apparently, the “R” on the Wal-Mart sign had been blown away during the storm. Yes, getting back to normal will take some time.

The young lady and I are talking almost every day; breaking the ice with hurricane small talk. My “sponsor” and I both agree that once all of the general hubbub is over from the storm it is also time for all of this coyness to end. She and I agree I should simply put my cards on the table and say, “OK, it’s been a month we’ve been dancing around this. I really do want to take you out. Before I develop a complex over this, why don’t we just pick a day and time.” Let’s see where the direct approach gets me!

No comments: