Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A good new years?

The girl I have been "seeing" for the past three months is apparently spending her New Years with her family, including her ex-husband. Earlier in the week she had mentioned having some sort of small gathering at her house and had asked me to attend. As today closed in she talked more about her step-son still being in town and probably having to do something with that part of her family. I can deal with that...somewhat.

If you've known me or read enough, I sometimes set myself up for disappointment in such situations. Those of you who have known he long enough are shaking your head at me because here I am in my usual situation. I can deal with that...somewhat.

My son saved the day; mostly by being in the same boat as me. At around 12:15 the phone rang. He was at home. His original plan, and the reason he was not here with me over the weekend, was that his girlfriend was having a party. His mother and stepfather apparently were not to happy about those plans. As we talked I could still hear the anger in his voice. I don't know all of the details but, it was some sort of a big blow out between the three of them. My son was honestly pissed off at his mother. I can deal with THAT!

"Well, son," I said to him, "Us Eaton men suck at this girlfriend thing, don't we!"

"Yeah Dad," he grumbled "I guess so."

"Ain't genetics great, son?"

"Yeah, thanks Dad."

But he had gone out of his way and called me for something as inconsequential as New Year's Eve. Yes, it was partly because he was at his mother but he went out of his way to call me just to talk. I can deal with THAT!

So while other things in my life may be in question I still have my son. I sat that makes for a damned good New Years Eve.

After he hung up I put the Sinatra channel on the satellite, turned up the volume, opened the sliders to the pool, filled a glass with bourbon, lit a cigar and sung away in the hammock while Frank sang.

Yup.....a pretty damned good New Years!!!!

No comments: