Thursday, March 15, 2007

OK, I have finally gotten the hint. I am determined to reattack my weight re-gain.

First my friend Dave went in for the same surgery I had three years ago. Talking with him about it reminded me of all I went through. Then I started having problems with my feet. Granted, its a common problem but the weight definitely is a factor and if I hadn't gained back some weight, it probably wouldn't have happened. Then I saw some recent photos of myself and I started having flashbacks.

Two years ago, when I was at my lowest post surgery weight loss, I took pride on the fact that I kept on adding holes to my belt as it shrunk. I am now back from that point by 8 inches. I have gained back 80 pounds. Granted, I am still hundreds below where I was but my own words, "I can't understand how someone could go through all of this and backslide" are coming back to haunt me.

I am now determined. I have a goal of getting back to where I was within a year; less if I try hard. It became easier, as my stomach healed, to add back into my diet those foods which put my on that operating table in the first place; bread, pasta, pizza.... I have just thrown out the two boxes of pasta in my pantry and am sharing my last half loaf of bread with the seagulls. I am dusting off my old post-surgery workbook and will dive back into the same foods, diets and exercise that had me dropping pounds each week. My own surgeon had said that if this ever happens that the fastest way of getting back on track is to go back to basics. My stomach and body have proved that they can adapt to it and the results are already proven.

By my trip to the Starfleet International Conference in August I plan on wearing a new uniform, be close to halfway to my goal and have no one in Denver greet me as "Hey, Big Guy!"

3 comments:

The Hey said...

You can do it!!!

(Hell, *I* can....) *grin*

rick.adk said...

Jack, look into T'ai Chi. I'm sure that you'll find classes in your area, and maybe even free ones.

I've recently started it, and what it can do for your headspace is just as fantastic as what it can do for your body.


... Rick

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

I'd say, for one, stop eating "fast food". Anything from McD's, Burger King and so on...is just pure crap. Eat more salads and prepare your own food. Good point on the lower carbs. We both know someone who has destroyed their health by eating badly alot of their life. It's an example not to follow.