Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My friend Howard, apparently likes nothing more than to make me cry. In a recent blog he posted this video:



As I watched this, it was if I was swept back 35 years. I could hear whistle of the train as it rolled down the tracks around the edge of the park's property. I could feel the work that went into making the crank run car go. I could smell the chlorine in the water of the boat ride.

Then today I get a surprise gift from him; a t-shirt remembering the Shore Dinner Hall at Rocky Point Park. Years of memories flooded back again. The smells and taste of clam cakes and chowder from the take out window. The political rallys in the dinner hall. The years spent at Rocky Point Park as a child. Then, I had the right of passage for almost ALL teenagers in Warwick, RI; a job at the concession stands. I also worked the Shore Dinner Hall close to its demise when it was turned into a flea market which was a client of the radio station where I worked and I would do remote broadcasts from there on weekends.

Jolly Cholly's and Rocky Point are no more. I have no idea what happened to Jolly Cholly's but Rocky Point has been the target of developers for years. I'm not sure if I was crying from the joy of the memories of remorse over being reminded of their passing.

The vivid memories live on in my mind. How we concession workers would drink concoctions of as many different sodas in one cup. The potato paste which was shaped into french fries; sounds gross, but they were better than McDonald's! Watching my stepson go to a public restroom by himself for the first time. Well, almost; I followed behind as a discreet distance making sure the little 4 year old found his way back and forth without getting lost. The look of pride in his eyes when he came back strutting like a Big Boy. Riding the rides at Jolly Cholly's with my niece, Cheryl; in the Batmobile, I was Batman and she was Robin.

Thank you for making me cry, Howard.

4 comments:

Capn Ho said...

No problem, man. Glad you liked the shirt.

rick.adk said...

Only two of the parks that I went to as a kid still exist Santa's Workshop in North Pole (natch!) New York ... and one other ... back then it was called Storytown USA. Now it's called ... (Six Flags) The Great Escape.

All the others are gone. The Land of Makebelieve, Frontier Town, etc. All gone.

I know the tears and the feelings. I go to Great Escape (the name was actually changed by the original owner before Prestige bought it) and it's nothing like it was then. Where are all the cartoon characters? Where are .... yeah. sigh.


.... Beaufort

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

There's a terrfic site about Rocky Point in RI,http://www.joenisil.com/rockypoint/index.htm. Paste it in,click it and get ready for a mindblower(it has sound, be warned). Unfortunately, with "progress" alot of these old places, like Drive In movies, Mom and Pop Theaters, 5 & 10 Stores, and the like, have all but disappeared. Canobie Lake Park is still alive in New Hampshire but many, it was less a problem of attendance, but the property became more valuable for condos and McMansions during the real estate explosion. In the case of Rocky Point, they went bankrupt anyway,due to bad management, but when Conrad Ferla(who owned it, along with the Warwick Music Tent) died, his family had to unload everything as it was too much of a problem in regard to upkeep and, estate taxes(that's what apparently happened with the Warwick Music Tent).

What we now have are the Walmartized-versions of all these things(such as Six Flags) that have all the thrills and none of the charm.

Bob Eggleton (Zillabob) said...

Jolly Cholly's is, as far as I know,partly(at least) still there. In ruins and VASTLY overgrown-think like some kind of end of the world Planet of The Apes thing-I saw some pix and I forgot where-showing what was left of the midway-stalls, food stands, signs, a few rusting rides...but small trees had grown through the pavement, along with grass. Definately a real sci-fi doomsday feel-all you needed was Galen and the two astronauts from the APES TV series from l974 wandering through it and it would be complete.
Apparently they closed one day, in the late 80's, and never opened again which explained the litter and sense of "just left".