Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's just a job. It's just a fucking job!

That's what I kept repeating as I stood in front of my supervisor with tears of frustration in my eyes. I still cannot get over the reaction I had to something so seemingly small this evening at work.

I have been with the same company for 9 years as of next month. That's a commitment. That's the point where it goes from being just a job to being a part of your life. While it may be mundane at times, stressful at times and ridiculous at times...it has still be a part of my life for the past 9 years. I have seen the company grow from a few hundred people to over 2,000 employees. Just the other night was our 4th talent show and, rather modestly, I am part of the culture of the company as well. I have made friends in this company. I have lost friends in this company. I have seen people come and go on good terms, bad terms and those who have left the planet completely. Weddings, births, deaths, parties, arguments....everything all bundled within the confines of the overpainted walls and cubicles of my company.

Through it all, I have always enjoyed going to work. I have liked 99.9% of those with whom I have worked. I have put up with complaining customers, long hours, and stupid company policies because it has always been a good place to work and a place that was always there for its employees.

Over the past couple of years, through a few different changes of management, there was a call from upper management to support a more employee friendly place. A place which embraced some of the more progressive employee relation theories and make it the "employer of choice".

That has all been taking a crashing nosedive in recent months all culminated with one sentence from a supervisor to me just hours ago. I was told the employees were being watched for personal emails. It made me snap. I was supposed to stay a few hours of extra overtime to help with an special project but decided I did not want to give up an hour of my life to a company with narrow minds in leadership.

I grew up watching my mother work in a variety of jobs. She always made those around her a part of her life. She was able to perform the duties of her job above the level of excellence and also do work for numerous outside projects. She showed me that you can do you job and have a life at the same time.

For a while it seemed as if my company was heading in that direction. That has changed. The worst part of it all is that in training classes the progressive philosophies are still be preached but the reality on the floor is a completely different thing. The frustration is getting worse.

My supervisor said the reason I was having such an emotional response was because I care. She is right. I care about my job. I care about the company. I care about the people with whom I spend 40+ hours every week. My company should be and could be the employer of choice. But when that potential is being hacked away at from the inside it could make anyone cry.

3 comments:

The Hey said...

It's just me, but e-mails have never hurt anyone unless they were sending viruses and inappropiate content.

I am lucky to work for a company that allows to access the net, e-mail and use AIM as long as my work and performance do not suffer and I'm not doing anything stupid like looking at prOn or running an EBay store. That's how I think it should be for most companies.

Eliminating something just to tighten the fist is just gonna make people miserable and want to leave.

Anonymous said...

I work with the same company mindset. Why is it thought that you shouldn't have time to decompress some serious stressful shit? What we do is very stressful (Try telling an 80 year old that her surgery she needs isn't covered...)
An email here or there means nothing. Does Big Brother honestly believe that to watch us so closely makes us better workers? It actually makes us BITTER workers.

You are lucky, Hey. You are probably a good worker too. Why not keep your people happy and not miserable? It's bad enough we have to work to pay bills instead of a love of what we do. Allow us the time to reflect what our true priorities in life are. Our family, our friends, our life outside of work.

I know usually I would give you some smart ass remark but you've reached a topic that really bites me in the ass.

FIGHT THE MAN!! Start sending secret emails that look professional. Use code words.

I'm all behind you. Way behind you cuz the stench is pretty bad.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

And if you tell anyone I agreed with you I'll deny it.

Anonymous said...

I work there too and I have been bitching about these things for along time to Jack. I guess he thought i was just being a 'bitch' about it and complaining all the time. Haha... told ya' so!!! :P
But seriously, he is correct in everything he said and in other departments it gets worse. I had an annual evaluation that was not based on merits, overtime, or knowledge but rather the comments of 2 people that were not even a part of management that i worked with for approximately 1 month each. I did alot last year and learned i'd say 90% of the dept i was in and it's function... final comments on my eval were "P. should try to learn more about the department and cross-train in other areas". I asked them to be more specific in a rebuttal and listed all i knew. So, The Hey... is your company hiring??? I know Jack dont want us to meet... kinda like that Sinefield episode where George has his 2 worlds of friends and family and George doesnt want them coincide. Jack just doesnt want to be double teamed....well not by at me least ;)