Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Welcome to Year 44!

Today was my birthday and it had got to be one of my best yet. Yes, there have been good ones in the past. There have been some I probably wished I didn't even exist of them pale to today because of one person.

Stephany.

Stephany and I have been seeing each other and talking for two weeks now. Our relationship has yet to be defined as "boyfriend/girlfriend" but is directly on track to being such. She is beautiful, smart, funny and has a smile that makes me weak in the knees.

I had seen her around the office and asked questions of mutual friends. She was always friendly; saying "Hello" and smiling. I finally got up the nerve to say something and gave her my number. Two hours later SHE CALLED ME. This I took as a good sign. We were then on the phone for almost three hours. Again, something I took as a good sign.

The past two weeks have been filled with countless hours on the phone, lunch and break time together at work and emails back and forth during the day. However, we have yet to have a date with it being just the two of us. She has some family concerns and a roommate problem which have either landed us with a third wheel or completely unable to time things just right.

That has been aggravating at times but those times have been balanced with some of the most open and honest conversations I have ever had. In a recent conversation I innocently asked if there was any question she wanted to ask me; anything she wanted to know about me. It took her a day to come up with just how to word what she wanted to say but when she did I could have done backflips. SHE asked ME where I saw things headed between us. All I was expecting was a question about something in my life she wanted to know and she hits me with the one question I have been asking myself for days.

I have been waiting to post anything about her until I knew things were on the right track. Oh, yeah....the other reason I haven't posted.....fear. I know some of you, my friends, so well that I knew there would be an onslaught of jokes. Why?

Stephany is 24 years old.

Almost from the moment I handed her my number I have been hearing the jokes from those who know. Most have been very funny and I have made as few as well. Steph laughs at them as well. Between us, the age difference makes no difference at all. And I love a good joke and encourage some of them. I also figure; hell, joke all you want....I'M DATING A 24 YEAR OLD!!!!!!

Even my son could not resist getting in on the abuse. We had lunch together over the weekend. After she had left I asked John what he thought. He said he thought she was pretty and fun to be around. Then he stopped and raised his eyebrows at me and said, "But gee, Dad....how old is she?" I asked again, "C'mon, do we make a good looking couple or does it look like visiting day at the home?" He never answered but laughed with a big grin on his face.

9 comments:

The Hey said...

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

- Dazed and Confused (1993) - which came out when she was 11.

:-P

Anonymous said...

Isn't 24 a little old for you Jack? Don't you usually start stalking them at 16???

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!


And stop robbing the craddle!!! :-p



Joost
(http://excaliburca.livejournal.com)

Anonymous said...

Well, if things don't work out between you too, your son can pickup where you left off..after all the age difference is about the same. LOL..hahahahahaaha....

leslie said...

We're really happy for you, Jack. hopefully, things will be great...(you're not thinking of bringing her to Shore Leave now, are you?? So that she can meet all of your friends there?????!!! : ) )

ANd, oh yeah, Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Jack, Towaway, Jack. You're going about this all wrong!

Listen to me.

IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE IOTA WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

Repeat after me: IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE IOTA WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

They aren't you. They aren't her. You are yourself. She is herself.

As long as the two of you are happy and comfortable ... IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE IOTA WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

Good luck, take it slow and easy, and I truly hope things work out well!!


.... Beaufort

Anonymous said...

She's still older than you act... Just kidding! Don't hit me, I'm a new mom!

Seriously, who cares what anyone thinks. My grandfather after my grandmother passed away, was 57 and started dating a 22 year old. We didn't care because she was just what he needed.

If Stephany makes you happy... then go for it.

-Mandi
http://mustangdmandi.livejournal.com

Capn Ho said...

Happy birthday, Towaway!

There are so many things I want to say about your new relationship, but I think I'll just keep them to myself until we're both good an drunk at Shore Leave. ;-)

Seriously, I hope it goes well for both you.

Ho

Anonymous said...

Tears are coming to my eyes. Not because of this tender, beautiful love that has surrounded your aura of life...no.

It is for all of the good material you have just given me. Enough to last a lifetime...

May you two be together for a VERY long and prosperous life.

I'm saving it all up for Shoreleave. And if you think for one iota that I'm not letting Monique know...HAH!!

That's what friends are for.