Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A better life through chemicals! While my back is still bothering me, I did go to the doctor on Monday where he filled me up with muscle relaxants, anti-inflamatories and pain killers. I am still walking around slowly and hunched over. That should continue to get better over the next few days.

What really sucks about the whole thing is that I missed out on going to work in costume. All the money for a costume had to go to the office visit and medication. That means that next year will be even better. I finally have found a resource for doing a costume for the office I have always wanted to do. I'll keep you guessing until then.

The other disappointment is that tonight George Takei is performing with a symphony orchestra near Orlando. I so wanted to go not only to see him perform but to surprise him with my weight loss. He had I talk a couple of times during the year but it has been almost five years since I saw him face to face.

There has been a lot made in the media aver his "coming out" as a homosexual. Big whoop! To me, a person's preferences matter little to the kind of a person he is and George is one of the best I have ever met. While the stigma attached with being openly gay has diminished over the years, I still applaud him for going public. There are probably still, even in these "enlightened" times, those who feel they have to hide who they are. I hope George's example will prove that the days of fear are over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that he comes from a different generation and still feels it is something to keep hidden. And now that he is older and wiser, he now feels he has made his mark in the world and on socitey, he can do as he so pleases. Go George!

Anonymous said...

It probably doesn't matter the generation. Ignorance seems to pass through. I have many friends who remain in the closet because of others stupidity. Who cares what one does in bed?

Especially you Jack. I'm sure it's a lovely time with yourself...

But even with Jillian. We have different last names but when I sign her paperwork for school I use her last name because people still have the "stigma" thoughts of my being a single mom. Isn't that bizzare? And trust me, racism is alive a well. You should see the looks when Jilli calls Monique 'Aunt Nikky'. I just tell people she and I are twins....

The Hey said...

I hope that this new "revelation" will make George once again a viable Convention guest so he can promote tolerance and acceptance.

I understand the reasons but he has been away from cons for far too long....