Thursday, May 12, 2005

I mad a very interesting discovery in my storage room the other day; a journal of mine from the spring of 1980. What a trip down amnesia lane.

It was filled with teenage romance and angst as the 18 year old not yet known as Towaway approached the end of his high school career. There was one girl for whom I spent a third of the book professing undying love with talk of marriage. Then in the blinding flash of 5 pages was dumped and ready to profess undying love for yet another fair haired beauty who was the absolute end of all being.

Well.......four months, anyway!

I still know one of these people. She and I still talk occasionally. Reading back through the years makes me wonder how she looks back on those times. Groping sessions in the backs of cars, in parks, behind buildings and houses devoid of parents for even the slightest moments. We never went all to far but the activities of which I wrote seemed no less erotic than any 3 minute section of Dad's stolen 8MM film collection he had hidden in his cedar chest.

This journal did exactly what I intended; to be a time capsule for those times in my life. It sat, untouched, for decades. Now it lays itself open in my God-awful chicken scratch (you have no idea how fortunate YOU are this is typed!) as a true and honest documentation of what goes through a teenage kids mind.

Apparently, most of that is testosterone.

It will be interesting to see if this "journal" lasts as long. How will I react to it in 25 years? I'm still looking for the older journals I know are in there somewhere; ones I did around 1975 - 77. I am dying to share these with my son.

Well, maybe I'll wait till I find the ones from Junior High School. Not so much testosterone in those.

No comments: